Thomas Haywood & Sons Ltd
Thomas Eli Haywood set up his first engineering workshop in about 1887 in Worcester. In 1893, Thomas formed an engineering company called 'Haywood Brothers' with his brothers Jack and Percival.
Thomas Haywood & Sons Ltd was located in Coulsdon, Surrey from 1929 to 1968. It
was initially a small engineering company started by Thomas Eli and his
three sons, situated on what was a derelict piece of land on the Brighton Road just south of Coulsdon South Station. The
company grew into a major engineering company exporting signalling and
engineering equipment across the world and became a large employer in
company evolved into three sections -
Falcon Works - Railway Signal
Falcon Forge - Wrought Iron Work and Lighting Design
Falcon Garage - Petrol
and Vehicle Repairs.
the war their new designs for ship semaphores were
taken up by the
Admiralty and they worked totally for the
government war effort.
Forge represented the Blacksmiths of England at
the Festival of Britain
in 1951; Richard Dimbleby was shown
round the working stand for a
After the early death
of two of the sons prior to the death of the founder in 1963 the company
was sold to Clarke & Smith Industries who eventually closed the Falcon works in 1968. The Falcon Forge was moved to New Eltham and merged with another business that C&S have bought out. Clarke & Smith went out of business in 1997.
The Falcon Garage has now become Harwood's Land Rover
Thomas was a brilliant designer and his talent has carried on down the family line producing many artists and creative descendants. Well known London designer and artist Heidi Sturgess is Thomas Haywood's great granddaughter. http://www.heidisturgess.com